Tuesday, January 15, 2008

let your freak flag fly

We all have a freak flag... or a geek flag.  Some of us are flying ours more proudly than others.  Some, sadly, don't fly theirs at all.  We are all on either the geek end of the spectrum or the freak end.  Either way, we need to raise our flags proudly and let them flap in the turbulent winds of society.  We should not be ashamed of ourselves for any reason, whether it be an obsessive interest in owning your own personal weapons cache or collecting stamps.  I would have to put myself in the freak category, however, I have taken considerable steps towards the geek side of the fence since being married to Curtis.  Likewise, he has taken considerable steps to the freak side of the spectrum.  We've been a good balance for each other, I suppose.  Here are some of my freak-ish qualities, according to myself,  that put me on that side of the fence.  I would like to clone my thumbs and then graph them on as big toes, i think life would be better if we had background music, I would like to have different pairs of feet, like shoes, that we can change whenever we want and I think they should still sell soda in glass bottles.  Now, for the little tid-bits that eek me a little closer to geek-dom. I would like to never wear the same pair of socks twice, a deep desire of mine is to attend an X-Files convention, I point out genus and specie names of plants in the background of movies and I love warm tapioca pudding.  Mmmmmm.  So, whether we have a geek flag or a freak flag, let it fly high. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, let me clear some things up. I have been a freak on the inside for most of my life. There are a few geeky tings that I do like collecting stamps and thinking that Star Wars was ACTUALLY a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. But I consider myself pretty much right in the middle. Thank you for giving me a chance to clear this up.

-Curt

Laurie Bingham said...

Oh Megan,
I think I more on the geek side, but I also love warm tapioca pudding. I am more of a geek than a freak because there is not anything wierdly cool about me, I'm just wierd. I love the blog!

Staci said...

curt- you are TOTALLY on the geek side. you've never crossed the line into freak zone. by the way. but nice try... just admit it. you come from a family of geeks. i'm one too. it is a good thing you and meg got married. like she said, you are a great balance. miss you tons meg!!